Meet Boulder Acupuncturist Caitlin Gordon, M.S., L.Ac.
Education & Certifications
- M.S.Ac., graduated with honors and a Master of Science in Acupuncture from the Colorado School of Traditional Chinese Medicine (CSTCM)
- Dipl. Ac., NCCAOM Nationally Board Certified Acupuncturist
- L.Ac., Colorado State Licensed Acupuncturist
- Functional Medicine Practitioner, Functional Medicine University (FMU), certification pending
- Clean Needle Technique Certified
- Biopuncture, Injection Therapy Certified
- Cosmetic Acupuncture Certified
- B.A. in International Affairs from the University of Colorado at Boulder
- Peace and Conflict Studies Program Certificate from University of Colorado at Boulder
I have been passionate about holistic health and nutrition for over 10 years, and am so grateful to be living my dream as a Boulder acupuncturist. My other interests include traveling, hiking with my dog Koa, skiing, and cooking.
More about what I do: I’m not “just” an Acupuncturist 😉
Awards & Memberships
- Thumbtack BEST OF 2015
- Rated Top 20 Boulder Acupuncturists by Expertise.com
- Colorado Acupuncture Medical Reserve Corps Member
- Acupuncture Association of Colorado (AAC) Member
- Treating Trauma with Lonny Jarrett
- Biopuncture and Injection Therapy with Michael Young
- SIBO Apex Seminar
- Liver Detoxification Apex Seminar
- Endocrine Function Standard Process Seminar
- Cadaver Lab with Albert Stern
- Ancestral Health Summit 2016
- Colorado Medical Reserve Corps Training
- Dr. Tan Pain Treatment Workshop
- Shellie Goldstein Cosmetic Acupuncture Training
My Healthcare Philosophy
- I believe prevention is the key to good health.
- I believe you should leave my office feeling better than when you walked in.
- I believe in patient-centered healthcare. You know your body better than anyone else ever will. As your Boulder acupuncturist and holistic healthcare provider, I want you to feel empowered to take care of your health and understand the process of healing and all the available paths to wellness.
- I believe in medicine that looks at you as a whole person and not a collection of separate symptoms. Everything is connected.
- I believe mental and emotional health are inseparable from physical health.
- I believe in medicine that addresses root causes and not only symptoms. By treating the root cause, you will achieve lasting results and not be dependent on someone else for your health.
- I believe in drug-free health! While some prescription medications are life-saving and necessary, many only treat symptoms and carry risks and side effects that can be avoided with a holistic approach.
- I believe acupuncture is complementary and a viable alternative to Western biomedicine. I am fascinated by both the scientific reasons for acupuncture’s effectiveness as well as the more abstract energetic dimension. You know, quantum physics and stuff!
- I believe in evidence-based approaches. As your Boulder acupuncturist, I want to offer you solutions that are safe, side-effect free and shown to work. For example, anti-depressants don’t meet these criteria, so I won’t be suggesting them, but exercise does!
- I believe we should all be our own best advocate when it comes to our health, and that the current healthcare system often doesn’t support taking an active role in our own care. I encourage questions and critical thinking.
As your Boulder acupuncturist and holistic healthcare provider, my goal is:
- To provide safe, effective, compassionate and skilled healthcare tailored to the individual with an emphasis on prevention and whole body balancing. Wellness is not simply the absence of disease–it is your body, mind, and spirit harmonized and functioning at their highest level. Wellness means you are free from symptoms, you feel energized, focused and content, and can withstand the physical, emotional and chemical stresses of everyday life without symptoms resurfacing.
- To offer education and resources on ways to improve the things in your life which will allow you to be the healthiest version of yourself, including healthy sleep habits, nutrition, exercise and stress management.
Why Chinese Medicine?
I first tried acupuncture when I was an undergrad at CU and a bad relationship breakup left me feeling anxious and unable to sleep at night. I was concerned at the expense of the treatments initially, but after 8 acupuncture sessions resolved my anxiety and insomnia and helped me work through my grief, I was convinced it was worth every penny!
That success piqued my curiosity and my subsequent research revealed that acupuncture can successfully treat so many health concerns: seasonal allergies, pain, sugar cravings, fatigue, memory problems… even the common cold virus I seemed to get every winter. I was surprised to learn that Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is taught at the prestigious medical schools of Harvard and Stanford, and I uncovered a huge body of data validating the health benefits of TCM.
Acupuncture stopped seeming “woo-woo”, and became an intriguing opportunity I didn’t want to pass by me. I started seeing my acupuncturist whenever I could afford to, for all my health concerns. I came to understand that it was acupuncture treatments that helped me to feel my best both physically and emotionally. It became and remains my self-care safe-space.
Acupuncture has helped me put two auto-immune conditions (Celiac and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis) into remission, and a number of related problems like leaky gut, multiple food sensitivities, joint pain, fatigue, weight gain, hair loss, ovarian cysts, and headaches. Holistic healthcare has enabled me to achieve a level of vitality and strength I didn’t previously know was possible.
So, in trying to plan my dream job and lifestyle (my dream job was to be an International Human Rights lawyer), I was narrowing down which law school to attend. However, my dream lifestyle was to be of service and help make the world a better place while working a sane number of hours and making my own schedule.
Some serious soul searching led me to decide that training as an acupuncturist and holistic health care provider would be the more fulfilling path to realizing my dreams. While acupuncture seems in sharp contrast to human rights legal work, in truth, it is just another modality for me to heal and harmonize what is stressed, injured, or out of balance. It was the best decision I’ve ever made.
The happy ending: I can live in a place that I love (Boulder, CO), feel creatively and intellectually challenged, and live my passion by cultivating health and happiness in my community and the world — one person at a time.
Why Do I Specialize in Emotional Health?
I chose to specialize in emotional health because I want people to have options besides medication. Emotional health symptoms are a sign, just like physical pain, that something is out of balance and needs attention.
I grew up with two psychologist parents. Therapy was never stigmatized, and emotional health has always been as important as physical health. I struggled with anxiety since childhood, with bouts of intense mood swings and depression. I’ve taken medication for anxiety, depression, and ADHD. In hindsight, I know that underlying chronic health conditions were a major factor in my emotional distress. I also know that the medications prescribed by psychiatrists did more harm than good.
A combination of acupuncture, herbs, nutrition, and lifestyle changes allowed me to become medication-free, and find resilience towards life’s stress. Of course, I still feel anxiety, fear, sadness, and the whole spectrum of human emotion. The difference is these emotions aren’t a constant overwhelming presence. Emotions pass quickly, and I have tools to manage them when they feel stuck. Intense emotions are like waves on the ocean, and we can dive below them where the water is calm, instead of being swept away.
I believe that successful acupuncture implies a partnership that empowers both patient and practitioner. I deeply appreciate your trust in inviting my support on your journey to wellness as your Boulder acupuncturist and holistic healthcare provider.