Education & Certifications
- D.Ac, Doctorate in Acupuncture from the Pacific College of Oriental Medicine (PCOM)
- M.S.Ac., graduated with honors and a Master of Science in Acupuncture from the Colorado School of Traditional Chinese Medicine (CSTCM)
- Dipl. Ac., NCCAOM Nationally Board Certified Acupuncturist
- L.Ac., Colorado State Licensed Acupuncturist
- CFMP, Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner by FMU
- Microneedling Certified, 2020
- Neuroacupuncture Certified, April 2018
- Clean Needle Technique Certified, Nov 2013
- Biopuncture, Injection Therapy Certified, May 2015
- Cosmetic Acupuncture Certified, 2016
- B.A. in International Affairs from the University of Colorado at Boulder
I have been passionate about finding wise and non-toxic solutions to health issues for over 15 years, and am so grateful to be living my dream here in Boulder. My other interests include traveling, hiking with my dog Koa, motorcycles, skiing, and cooking.
More about what I do: I’m not “just” an Acupuncturist
Caitlin Specializes in
- Mental and Emotional Health
- Detox Protocols
- Digestive Disorders
- Fertility and Women’s Health
Awards & Memberships
Podcast and News Interviews
- Treating Trauma and 5 Element Constitutional Acupuncture with Lonny Jarrett
- Biopuncture and Injection Therapy with Michael Young
- SIBO Apex Seminar
- Liver Detoxification Apex Seminar
- Endocrine Function Standard Process Seminar
- Cadaver Labs with Albert Stern
- Colorado Medical Reserve Corps Training
- Dr. Tan Pain Treatment Training
- Shellie Goldstein Cosmetic Acupuncture Training
- Thyroid and hormone health training with Apex
- Mycotoxin testing and treatment with Great Plains Labs
- Microneedling certification
- NeuroAcupuncture Level I Training with Neuroacupuncture Institute
- Vedic Meditator
As your Boulder acupuncturist and functional medicine provider,
There’s no bullsh*t. I am about transparency.
I will see you, really see you. That’s my superpower. It can be uncomfortable, and it can be incredibly validating and liberating. I am not just seeing what needs to change, I am seeing your most whole, healed self in all its perfection and beauty. I see where you are getting in your own way.
Then, I support you in getting out of your own way. I help you to create the conditions in which you can heal, and empower you to create a life inside of which you can stay well.
Wellness is not simply the absence of disease–it is building resilience in your body, mind, and spirit so you bounce back stronger than before you got knocked down. Wellness means you are free from chronic symptoms. You feel energized, clear, and content. You can withstand the physical, emotional, and chemical stresses of everyday life without symptoms resurfacing.
My Healthcare Philosophy
- I believe an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
- I believe you should leave my office feeling better than when you walked in.
- I believe you know your body better than anyone else ever will. As your Boulder acupuncturist and functional medicine provider, I want you to feel empowered to take care of your own health, understand the process of healing and all the available paths to wellness.
- I believe in medicine that looks at you as a whole person and not a collection of separate symptoms. Everything is connected.
- I believe your happiness, fulfillment, and ability to feel relaxed and safe in your body are vitally important and inseparable from your physical health. Mental and emotional health are intricately linked with physical symptoms.
- I believe in medicine that addresses root causes and not only symptoms. By treating the root cause, you will achieve lasting results and not be dependent on someone else for your health.
- I believe in pharmaceutical-free health! While some prescription medications are life-saving and necessary, many only treat symptoms and carry risks and side effects that can be avoided with a functional approach.
- I believe in medicine that inhabits the intersection of science and spirituality. I am fascinated by both the scientific reasons for acupuncture’s effectiveness as well as the more abstract energetic dimension. You know, quantum physics and stuff!
- I believe in evidence-based approaches. As your Boulder acupuncturist and functional medicine clinician, I want to offer you solutions that are safe, side-effect free, and shown to work.
- I believe we have immense power to self-heal, and that the current healthcare system often doesn’t support taking an active role in our own care. I encourage questions and critical thinking.
Why Chinese Medicine?
I first tried acupuncture when I was an undergrad at CU and a bad relationship breakup left me feeling anxious and unable to sleep at night. I was concerned at the expense of the treatments initially, but after 8 acupuncture sessions resolved my anxiety and insomnia and helped me work through my grief, I was convinced it was worth every penny!
That success piqued my curiosity and my subsequent research revealed that acupuncture can successfully treat so many health concerns: seasonal allergies, pain, sugar cravings, fatigue, memory problems… even the sinus infection I seemed to get every winter. I was surprised to learn that Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is taught at the prestigious medical schools of Harvard and Stanford, and I uncovered a huge body of data validating the health benefits of TCM.
Acupuncture stopped seeming “woo-woo”, and became an intriguing opportunity I didn’t want to pass by me. I started seeing my acupuncturist whenever I could afford to, for all my health concerns. I came to understand that it was acupuncture treatments that helped me to feel my best both physically and emotionally.
In 2009, I was one month from the due date for my tuition deposit at CU Law School. But something didn’t feel right. Some serious soul searching led me to decide that training in Chinese Medicine would be the more fulfilling path to living out my dream. While acupuncture seems in sharp contrast to legal work, in truth, it is just another modality for me to heal and harmonize what is stressed, injured, or out of balance. It was the best decision I’ve ever made.
Acupuncture has helped me put three autoimmune conditions (Celiac, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, and early-stage Lupus) into remission, and a number of related problems like leaky gut, multiple food sensitivities, joint pain, fatigue, weight gain, hair loss, ovarian cysts, and headaches. Functional medicine has enabled me to achieve a level of vitality and strength I didn’t previously know was possible.
Why Specialize in Mental and Emotional Health?
I chose to specialize in mental and emotional health because I want people to have options besides pharmaceutical drugs. Emotional health symptoms are a sign, just like physical pain, that something is out of balance and needs attention.
I grew up with two psychologist parents. Therapy was never stigmatized, and emotional health has always been viewed as important. I struggled with anxiety since childhood, with bouts of intense mood swings and depression. I’ve been prescribed medication for anxiety, depression, and ADHD. In hindsight, I know that underlying chronic health conditions and adverse childhood events were a major factor in my emotional distress. I also know that in my case, the medications recommended by psychiatrists did more harm than good.
A combination of acupuncture, herbs, nutrition, and lifestyle changes allowed me to get off pharmaceuticals, and find resilience towards life’s stress. Of course, I still feel anxiety, sadness, and the whole spectrum of human emotion. The difference is these emotions aren’t a constant overwhelming presence. Intense emotions pass quickly, and I have tools to manage them when they feel stuck. My baseline of happiness remains unshakeable.
I believe that successful healthcare implies a partnership that empowers both patient and practitioner. I deeply appreciate your trust in inviting my support on your journey to wellness as your Boulder acupuncturist and functional medicine clinician.