The word detox can trigger thoughts of juice fasts, extreme diets, and expensive supplements. It’s frequently used to promote weight loss. When we use the word “detox” at Amaluna, we are referring to the organs that detoxify and metabolize chemicals that would otherwise be harmful and the elimination pathways that help the body excrete waste. We approach detox scientifically while simultaneously taking a big picture perspective (that’s where our Eastern medicine lens really shines).
Health is in large part limiting our exposure to external stressors while increasing our internal capacity for stress. Supporting detox is a major component of reducing external stressors that inhibit the body from healing and optimizing internal resources for alchemizing and neutralizing stressors.
Benefits of Detox Support
- Improved energy levels
- Reduced antibody levels in autoimmune disease
- Resolving skin issues like eczema, hives, psoriasis, acne, and perioral dermatitis
- Reduction or elimination of allergies: seasonal allergies, food sensitivities, chemical sensitivities, topical allergies
- Shedding excess weight
- More restful sleep
- Improvement in neurological diseases
- Reduced risk of cancer
- Hormonal balance
- Improved mood and mental clarity
- Healing from mold exposure, chemical exposure, heavy metal poisoning, Lyme, and CIRS
- many more
A “toxin” is anything that causes oxidative stress, excessive inflammation, or disease in the body that is not outweighed by a positive effect. The liver is the main organ of detoxification. Phase I and Phase II of detoxification in the liver require a variety of specific amino acids and nutrients to be carried out effectively. This process is what allows us to ingest alcohol, medication, and coffee safely. In fact, every single thing we ingest is processed in the liver. It works to filter the blood, metabolize drugs, and detoxify chemicals. We excrete waste products and toxins via stool, urine, and sweat. Making sure these elimination pathways are working well is essential for supporting detox, too.
Supporting Detox Means:
- Reducing exposure to harmful chemicals in your environment: air, water, personal care and cleaning products, food
- Reducing intake of inflammatory foods
- Increasing intake of foods that support phase I and phase II detoxification in the liver
- Eating in a way that encourages proper bile flow
- Supporting the elimination of waste through stool, urine, and sweat
- Recognizing that possessions and relationships can become toxins and detox includes cleaning up our physical spaces and our relationship dynamics
I don’t believe in “detox” via any of the following:
- Juice fasting
- Foot soaks or patches
- Celery juice
- Body-wraps, laxative teas
- Diet pills marketed as “detoxes” or “cleanses”
Functional Medicine and Detox
Functional Medicine supports detox by taking a detailed look at all of the potential sources of toxicity in your environment, diet, and lifestyle. It uses advanced testing of urine, stool, and blood to identify unhealthy levels of toxins, and markers for impaired detoxification in the liver. Dr. Caitlin Gordon designs personalized plans for how to support your body’s needs for detox with nutrition, supplements, lifestyle changes, and adjunctive therapies.
- 12-Day Liver Detox Protocol: If you’re interested in boosting detox and learning more, you can follow this at home without any special products.
- Far Infrared Sauna Sessions at our Boulder Clinic
- Functional Medicine Consults via phone worldwide or in-clinic
- Acupuncture and Cupping at our Boulder Clinic
- Injection Therapy at our Boulder Clinic
- Advanced testing for chemical, mold, and metal exposure. Test kits shipped nationwide.