Fire Cider: At Home Immune Tonic
A natural remedy and preventative for colds and flu.
Fire Cider has a long history as a folk remedy for illness. A potent cocktail of hot aromatic herbs, this elixir works as an anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and natural antibiotic with immune regulating benefits.
Benefits of Fire Cider
- Strengthens immune system by stimulating white blood cells
- Potent natural antibiotic properties
- Stimulates circulatory and digestive functions
- Strong anti-inflammatory effects
- Invigorates and energizes
- Diuretic, promoting sweating to help break a fever
- Aids in breaking up congestion and phlegm
- Clears sinus passages
How to Make Fire Cider
- Add 1/2 white or yellow onion chopped, 1/4 cup horseradish peeled and chopped, 1/4 cup ginger peeled and chopped, 1/4 cup garlic peeled and chopped, 3 large jalapenos sliced, 2 lemons zested and juiced to a 1-quart mason jar.
- Cover chopped ingredients with organic apple cider vinegar and seal jar.
- Let steep for 4-8 weeks in a dark cabinet. The longer the better.
- Drain veggies, add honey to liquid mixture to taste.
- Veggies can be used for stir-fry.
How To Use Fire Cider
- Take fire cider like a shot or mix 1-3 TB with tea or juice. Use daily as a preventative, or 3-4x day for treatment of colds/flus.
- Apply to a cloth and place on chest for congestion.
- Massage into sore muscles.
- Add extra honey to use as a cough syrup.
As far as immune tonics go, fire cider contains all the heavy hitters. I love it as a refreshing wake-me-up in the morning or after a long day of work. It is spicy and will clear out your sinuses and give you a jolt of energy.
Want to try another at-home traditional healing food? Check out this Congee Recipe.